I planned to do this blog post in December when winter first made its appearance, but as you probably know, December was a very hectic (but fun) month with all the Christmas chaos, so I didn’t get around to doing it. That said, it’s still a good time to do this post because it’s only the middle of January, and winter is of course still in full affect. There’s ample time to expand your winter wardrobe if you haven’t already.
To me, winter is the perfect time to go on a shopping spree because there are so many fashion options for this time of the year; it’s the perfect time to experiment with your style and add new pieces to your closet. However, no matter how many new trends are discovered, there are certain clothes, shoes, and accessories that I think you’ll always need in your closet during the winter months. I’m going to share a few of them with you today:
1. Long sleeve basics: these are a winter staple for two major reasons. First- they’re obviously perfect for layering. You can wear them under vests, jackets, coats, and sweaters to give you that extra layer of warmth. Secondly- long sleeve basics are easy to style. Even if you decide to wear them on their own, you can still dress them up with a pair of cute jeans, heels or boots, and some accessories to look like you tried even if you didn’t.
2. Cardigans and sweaters: these are also perfect for layering. They’re even great for those days when you want to be comfortable but still cute being that there are so many ways to style them. You can of course dress them down, but if you’re looking for a quick, effortless “slay,” you can always pair them with heels or boots, and it’s a look for sure.
3. Peacoats: I love a good peacoat. They are the warmest coats in my opinion. I’ve had the same black peacoat from Kohl’s for about 3 years now, and it’s still in good condition. It’s my favorite coat to date because it does a really job keeping me warm. The material is so soft and cozy. I highly recommend a good peacoat for the winter.
4. Leggings and stretch pants: If you’re like me and prefer to wear leggings and stretch pants over jeans, you definitely need a few pairs of each for the winter time. They’re both so comfortable. On those days when you just want to lounge around or run a few errands, you will find that leggings and stretch pants are two of the most convenient items to have in your closet.
5. Over-the-knee boots: you’re probably tired of me mentioning over-the-knee boots, but I only talk about them so much because they’re truly a fall/winter staple. Every lady needs a couple different pairs in her closet for those days when you want to look a little fancy. I recommend getting colors that will go with a lot of different outfits (like black or gray) so that you can get a lot of use out of them.
6. Uggs: these may not be the most stylish shoes ever, but they’re probably the most comfortable. Uggs are so warm and cozy and just perfect to throw on with a pair of jeans or leggings/stretch pants on those days when you care more about being warm than stylish. Now, that’s not to say that you can’t wear uggs with a cute outfit. I do it all the time 🙂
7. Sneakers: these are a must in the winter time. Why? Simply because there will be days when you may not feel like wearing boots or heels (as much as we love them). It’s important to keep a few pairs of sneakers in your closet to throw on really quickly when you’re in a hurry. Sneakers are also super stylish and can instantly spice up an outfit if styled correctly.
8. Beanies, scarves, and gloves: three accessories that you need in order to survive the winter. Some days may be warmer than others, but for those extremely cold, winter days, beanies, scarves, and gloves will definitely come in handy. They’re of course great for layering, and if styled well, they can actually make a basic outfit look fly.
Do you agree that these are must-have winter wardrobe essentials? Chat with me down below.