I know I’m a little late here on my blog, but Happy Black History Month!
One of my favorite things to do when I’m feeling down or unmotivated is to read inspirational quotes that make me feel empowered. So, I thought why not share 10 influential quotes in celebration of Black History and some of the greatest leaders of all time.
1. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
2. “You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right.” -Rosa Parks
3. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” -Harriet Tubman
4. “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false and to incur my own abhorrence.” -Frederick Douglass
5. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion!”” -Muhammad Ali
6. “If you have no critics you’ll likely have no success.” -Malcolm X
7. “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” -Marcus Garvey
8. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” -Maya Angelou
9. “I have discovered in life that there are ways of getting almost anywhere you want to go, if you really want to go.” -Langston Hughes
10. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” -Barack Obama
I want to take the time to say thank you to all the influential black leaders who paved the way for us. Although we still have more work to do, if it weren’t for them, we wouldn’t have made it this far. For that, they will always go down in history.